Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Creative Endeavor Year

 What a delicious last couple of days.
Beet greens rescued from limpness, crisped up with bacon goodness

With New Year's Eve on a Saturday and New Year's Day on a Sunday this year, some may have groused about losing days off work, but I made the most of the celebrations not being smooshed into a few tired late-night hours, only to be confronted with the office coffeemaker the next morning. Ha!
I successfully kick-started my Creative Endeavor Year! I've stated lately what I'm interested in, and how differently I want to orient myself, so you maybe have an idea what I'm talking about. No? Ok, then I'll go first with activities from the last few days, and then would you please chime in?

Lists. Yes, I made lists, in different places, on different-sized scraps of paper, and with overlapping topics. Maybe a little overzealous, but now I get to synthesize! Places I want to travel, places I might want to move, key areas of focus for my new work, my annual review, and goals. Totally exciting, right? Well it is for an introverted organizer.

Slowly Scrambled Eggs (you're allowed to zone out while scrambling!)
Writing. Yep- as the new tagline indicates, I'm going to let writing take up a lot more space in my life this year. The focus will be on this blog, as I navigate the transition, and on the novel, which will give me a product and some experience in creative process (little out of practice).
Outdoors. A long run, several moderate-length walks in the cool air- clearing the clutter that tends to clump onto my brain if I spend too much time inside. You know what I mean: meant-to-do's, errands, shoulda-coulda-woulda's. Unless these get out and on a list, they just hover over my shoulder and make me unproductive or regretful. For me, moving at some speed outdoors tends to banish these thoughts. I return refreshed, like my brain had been through a permanent press and spin-cycle!

Apple, cinnamon-sugar, and perhaps a little butter was involved
Back-to-Basics. Return-to-Roots. (I like alliteration, OK?) On NYE, I made my first loaf of bread in the bread machine I received for Christmas, and have been finding ways to appreciate the simple white slice since then. Today, I tried out my first batch of plain yogurt in the new yogurt-maker, and await the results tomorrow morning. While there are a lot of blogging cooks out there who know how to combine many beautiful exotic ingredients for amazing dishes, I like to take the more minimalist approach. Because really, life is what you make of it. So if you don't have pimenton de vera or spelt flour or fresh cilantro when the urge to create in the kitchen strikes, don't fret. Take what you've got, and figure out how to honor that. In fact, I think that'll be the philosophy for this Creative Endeavor Year.

Stale croissant, melted chocolate = uncomplicated souffle
I've been cooking pretty simply in the past month, both because of the desire for wintry comfort food and the need for something simply being enough. Call it an overworked metaphor if you like, but here are a few photos to inspire you to take a stab at this philosophy. Whatever you've got, honor that.

You may see several of the items listed in my Favorites List, which is no accident. What's on your List?

7 comments:

  1. Love this, Margaret! I support all of your priorities, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gill! I'm becoming immersed in the inspirational-blogworld at the moment; everything seems to confirm everything else. Do you ever do resolutions or 'take stock' or is that more Melia's bag? It can weirdly be so much fun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you, Margaret, all the way! And to underline your plans (remember this one?): "If something is important to you, you WILL find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse." (Bill Tikos, The Cool Hunter) So, I am looking forward to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! And it feels good to be 'back in the fold' as it were, at least partly. Results, here we come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the "honor that" point. So true! Honor what you have! And honor what it is you want by working to achieve it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, that has the ring of a new religion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a compulsive list maker so I totally support you making lists. And I feel the same way about the cold air; it helps me clear my mind and think clearly (although I did get sick from being outside too long on Christmas eve). Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete