Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

Suddenly

It occurred to me, as I was writing my Cookie Swap post, that I've had what one might call a 'rash' of decisions that have been uncharacteristic of me and seem pretty sudden.

DUMBO
First there was starting the novel. I've always wanted to be a writer; one day, after getting a powerful idea for an opening line of a story, I asked myself what was stopping me? Just start! Chalk it up to the 'Shitty First Draft' if it isn't any good- at least you'll have your first one done. So I've been working on a novel.

Shaw
Then there was the painting job. Another thing that would make me happy, a small thing, an environmental change. So why was I waiting? I lobbed the pitch to the Universe, and a friend showed up, ready to help. What a warm, glowy feeling I get surrounded by color instead of cheesy off-white.

Third: disdaining an offer of a second 5k race, I thought, what if I devoted some serious time to running and getting in great shape? Michelle did it, right? My current pace would bring me in under the cut-off time for the 10 miles if I could just fool myself into wanting to run for an hour and forty minutes. Wouldn't it be cool if I could say I'd run in the Cherry Blossom 10-miler? Ok, let's pitch another one to the Fates, I told myself as I entered my name into the lottery.

I'm in.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!!!!! Ok, on the novel part ... I somehow started too, just with some anecdotes (that will eventually hopefully fit in the story - or not :-) Running ... I have to get back to it!! Am aiming on this Saturday but then ... why wait until Saturday why not go this Wednesday or ... today??? As for painting, I have this ugly dining table and someone suggested I should just give it some color ... you are right ... what am I waiting for! At least, I wrote a blog post today :-) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete