Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Houston, Texas: Take 2!

Yes, in the space of 2 weeks, I visited Houston twice. The first time was nice, I got to go to this fun place with some coworkers. It was hot, it was new, I got to meet some new colleagues, and see how these meetings were SUPPOSED to roll out.

Then the second weekend, our team (2 of the same people, 2 different) took a more flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants approach, which made the weekend more interesting than a repeat would've been. Plus we had almost twice as many people attend the meeting (go recruitment!). Also, we were able to go here:

This is the wall and chandelier of the private dining room at Philippe, a tres chic dining destination in Houston.
I went with their bouillabaisse. It was pretty good (but I wasn't wowed). I also had their Ile Flottante, which definitely made me say WOW... (but then I've always been biased toward the sweets, we know this)
the lake where Andy Pettitte has a house near Conroe, TX
But besides all these different things, what made the second trip the most special was that I got to visit relatives- second cousins- that I've only seen a few times in my life! Glory be to Facebook for keeping us all in touch, sort of.
Highlights:
love love LOVED the cornbread in its tin!
The family members, especially Yvette, all pitched in to make "Texan food," which turns out to be the exact stereotype of 'grill-out food,' and since it was about 100 degrees, was perfect! Smoked brisket, coleslaw, potato salad, baked beans, and cornbread- talk about your Western smorgasbord!
when horses are a part of work, the tack is kept in the front office!
Here I am with Belle's little filly
And here's me on Suzie, with Shelly on Cutter
I think it should be explained that Suzie missed a growth spurt, so her awesome cutting bloodlines were put to pasture as it were, and now she hangs around the house as a beloved pet. Or at least I think that's what the arrangement is. At any rate, I got to ride her in the round pen without a bridle, and got to help in training her a bit, which was a new skill! :-) The family's opinion was that she takes after Ginger (meaning she's a brat and will only answer to my dad's cousin Louis!).

In front of the guest suite (super nice!) with a pint of Blue Bell ice cream Super yum!)
So the second trip was far more exciting! Go, Work-Life Balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment