Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Resolution Day Trip for January

Leesburg, Virginia
(pretty house)

So. I took them off the site because I thought it might be too personal for public consumption, but I did make resolutions. And one of them involved at least 1 day trip out of the District to see the surrounding countryside. I didn't want to continue the trend of responding to friends and colleagues with "Yeah, I've never even been to Baltimore to explore." Lame.
The first place I chose was a small town in Virginia that held a variety of attractions: historical architecture, state park land, and ... outlets. I couldn't resist, sorry. I give you: Leesburg, VA.
There is an interesting set of bumps around the chimney that I found ... unique.

There was a surfeit (did I use that right?) of antique shops in the downtown area, and one that was French-inspired non-antiques. You know the type of store: a little chi-chi, a little ungenuine, but with a wealth of inspiration for ideas. I loved the wall of French Country tablecloths not for their patterns but for their colors- bright!

A historical mill turned into a mall- great idea!

A well-preserved home, but answer me this: why are there shutters haphazardly on some of the window sides but not on others? Maybe some experienced East-Coaster can tell me...


The obligatory Confederate soldier (it is Virginia); Herb Soup (SOOOOOOO good) at the Green Tree restaurant; a fascinating gate near the county court complex

After an hour or so of shooting pictures and wandering in and out of downtown small businesses (a cupcake may have been consumed), I struck out with the Cav again, destination: Ball's Bluff Battlefield, which among other attractions, contains the 3rd-smallest national cemetery in the U.S. (it was pretty small). I read about the battle at Ball's bluff in a non-educated way, and imagined the sensation of looking across a river so picturesque and knowing enemies lay hidden, so close!


The last stop in town was food-related. I had seen this place online but not given it much thought, but after seeing its bizarre decor from the outside, my curiosity was piqued to try it out. Doner Bistro, it turns out, is German immigrant food, served by Germans themselves! I thought it was kind of funny...


And the crowd was gre-e-e-e-eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment